Boyko Music: 'At the Foot of the Carpathian Chain'

My paternal grandfather was born in the village of Lybokhora (Turka District), the "capital" of Boyko instrumental music. His parents, who were from the Sambir and Lviv regions, moved to this Carpathian village in the early 1900s to direct and teach at the local school.

This is a picture from Lybokhora (1930s) of my grandfather (white shirt in second row, with bird on his shoulder) with his parents, siblings, and some family friends. 

Many years ago I came across an album of authentic music recordings from his village. When I listen to it, I can image that during celebrations and rituals, my ancestors heard precisely this music.


Links with info and downloads:

Comments

  1. This is so neat! I love how you draw connections to your family history. Can't wait to listen to the music.

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Ukrainian Alphabet and the Soft Sign

The Archaic Language of the Ukrainian Diaspora

Hoisting Beams in Amsterdam